Become a HomeMeds Site
Our goal is to make medication risk screening and review a national standard of practice in care management and other programs for older adults that involve a home visit. We look forward to assisting organizations who would like to adopt this innovative and effective program. We feel that the effort of making a home visit and of collecting a comprehensive medication list should go beyond regulatory compliance and should be used for the benefit of each client's health and safety.
Benefits to becoming a HomeMeds implementation site:
- Improved health and safety for clients;
- Consultation to adapt the intervention for your agency's needs;
- Comprehensive education and training for staff on medication use and problems among older adults;
- Detailed manuals, protocols, and handouts on medication management;
- Addition of pharmacist resources to agency team;
- Use of a modestly-priced, secure on-line medication risk screening and management tool; and
- National prominence as part of the vanguard in bringing this AoA evidence-based program to your community.
Because implementing the HomeMeds program is a significant change in practice, we recommend timing and planning its initiation carefully. We have partnered with the National Council on Aging (NCOA) to create a tool that assesses an organization’s readiness to undertake this change. It is based on research that has shown that there are two dimensions to this readiness – the willingness of people at all levels of the organization to do what it takes to reach and sustain new goals and also the capacity, in terms of resources and systems.
The readiness tool takes about 15 minutes to complete if you are prepared with the following information:
- % of clients in various health-related categories (homebound, functionally impaired, cognitively impaired, chronically ill, spousal caregiver, other caregiver)
- % of clients in various service categories (waiver/nursing home diversion; general care management, post-hospital transition, general senior center/AAA, ADRC)
- Location of service (% of clients served at home, at program site, by phone)
- Number of older adult clients served per month, on average, over the past 3 months.
- Information about staffing (# of staff in different categories - nurse, social work, etc. and their education levels - and turnover rates over the past year)
CLICK HERE to take the 15 minute survey to help determine your readiness to participate as a HomeMeds site.
Then, please email us to discuss your survey answers and begin the planning process for HomeMeds implementation.